You should talk to a nurse or doctor if:
- You think you may be expecting
- Your period that is next is than a week later
- Your duration is faster or lighter than usual
- You’ve got any unexpected or uncommon discomfort in your reduced stomach (this might be a indication of a ectopic maternity, in which a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive supplement may interact with other medications. Included in these are:
- The medicine that is herbal John’s Wort
- Some medicines utilized to deal with epilepsy
- Some medications utilized to deal with HIV
- Some medications utilized to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for instance omeprazole (an antacid) to help make your belly less acid
EllaOne is not used if you’re currently using one of these brilliant medications, as it can never be effective.
Levonelle may nevertheless be utilized, however the dosage could need to be increased – your pharmacist or doctor can advise with this.
There must be no connection involving the crisis pill and a lot of antibiotics. Two antibiotics that are enzyme-inducingcalled rifampicin and rifabutin), utilized to treat or avoid meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as for 28 days a while later.
If you’d like to make sure that your medications are safe to simply take because of the crisis contraceptive tablet, pose a question to your GP or perhaps a pharmacist. It’s also advisable to see the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can the emergency is got by me contraceptive supplement ahead of time?
Perhaps you are in a position to get the emergency contraceptive tablet prior to having non-safe sex if:
- You may be focused on your method that is contraceptive failing
- You may be taking place getaway
- You simply cannot get your hands on crisis contraception effortlessly
Pose a question to your GP or nursing assistant for more info on getting advance crisis contraception.
The IUD as crisis contraception
The device that is intrauterineIUD) is a tiny, T-shaped contraceptive unit produced from synthetic and copper. It’s inserted to the womb by an experienced wellness professional. It might avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or becoming fertilised.
In the event that you’ve had unprotected sex, the IUD could be placed as much as five times afterwards, or as much as five times following the earliest time you might have ovulated, to stop maternity. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity as compared to crisis supplement, plus it will not connect to any kind of medicine.
You can even elect to have the IUD left in as a method that is ongoing of.
Exactly just just How effective may be the IUD at preventing maternity?
There are many forms of IUD. Newer ones do have more copper and so are significantly more than 99% effective. Less than two feamales in 100 whom utilize a more recent IUD over 5 years can get expecting. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but are nevertheless effective. The IUD works better than the crisis tablet at preventing maternity after non-safe sex.
Who are able to make use of the IUD?
The majority of women may use an IUD, including ladies who haven’t been expecting and people who will be HIV good. Your GP or clinician will enquire about your history that is medical to if an IUD would work for you personally.
You ought not to make use of an IUD when you yourself have:
- An untreated STI or perhaps a pelvic disease
- Certain abnormalities of the cervix or womb
- Any bleeding that is unexplained your vagina – for example, between durations or after intercourse
Ladies who have heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD shouldn’t be placed when there is a danger which you may currently be expecting. The IUD can safely be used if you’re breastfeeding, however the danger of problems during insertion is somewhat greater.
Exactly what are the relative side-effects associated with the IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are uncommon, but could add discomfort, disease, harm to the womb or expulsion (the IUD coming from the womb). It may make your periods longer, heavier or more painful if you use the IUD as an ongoing method of regular contraception.
The IUD along with other medications
The emergency IUD shall not respond with any kind of medicine.
Where may I get crisis contraception?
You will get the crisis contraceptive capsule and also the IUD for clear of:
- A GP surgery that delivers contraception (some GP surgeries may well not supply the IUD)
- A contraception clinic
- A intimate wellness hospital
- Some genitourinary medication (GUM) clinics
- Some young adults’s clinics (call our helpline that is sexual on 22 44 88)
You may have the crisis contraceptive capsule free of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some injuries units that are minor
- Some Accident & crisis divisions
A doctor or nursing assistant you notice may ask for the information that is following
- If you have had non-safe sex in your overall menstrual period
- The date of this day that is first of final duration therefore the typical duration of your period
- Information on any failure that is contraceptivesuch as for instance what number of pills you might have missed, when)
- If you have utilized any medicines that will impact your contraception
If you should be aged 13 or higher, you could get contraception through the almost all community pharmacies in Scotland, frequently totally free. If you’re maybe not qualified to receive NHS Scotland solutions, you should buy the crisis contraceptive capsule from most pharmacies. The price differs, nonetheless it will be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you are staying away from a regular approach to contraception, you could think about performing this to be able to reduce the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) provides the best security against maternity, and you also need not think about any of it each day or every time you have intercourse.
LARC methods are the:
Where can it is got by me?
This will depend which type of crisis contraception you employ. There are two main techniques:
- The crisis contraceptive product (early morning after pill) – there are two main kinds, Levonelle or ellaOne
- The device that is intrauterineIUD, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity if:
- You have not utilized contraception
- Your moscow-brides net usual way of contraception has failed
Emergency contraception shouldn’t be utilized in place of your method that is usual of.
The earlier you utilize crisis contraception after having non-safe sex, the greater amount of effective it really is. For lots more information, observe how effective is crisis contraception?
The crisis contraceptive tablet
Levonelle can be acquired totally free with no prescription. You will get it from many pharmacies as well as from your own GP or sexual wellness center. Utilize our nationwide provider Directory to locate pharmacy that is nearest, GP surgery or intimate wellness hospital.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available cost-free. You may get them from most community pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or intimate wellness hospital.
Levonelle may be taken within 72 hours (three times) of experiencing non-safe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of getting sex that is unprotected.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or ovulation that is delayingif your ovaries launch an egg).
EllaOne could be taken within 120 hours (five times) of getting non-safe sex, but it is most reliable if taken as quickly as possible after having sex that is unprotected.
You take one tablet that is ellaOne. It prevents or delays ovulation and causes it to be harder for a fertilised egg to implant into the womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) can be acquired from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Many intimate wellness clinics (GUM clinics)
- Many GP surgeries
The IUD is positioned within your womb. It damages both the semen therefore the egg, and stops an egg that is fertilised in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five times of having non-safe sex, or, whether it’s feasible to calculate once you ovulate, as much as five times once you ovulate. The IUD is one of type that is effective of contraception.
It is possible to maintain the IUD in as the method that is regular of, or a medical practioner can eliminate it through your next period.
Crisis contraception may never be suited to everyone else. Discover more about crisis contraception.
If you should be ill
If you are ill (vomit) within three hours of taking Levonelle or ellaOne, get hold of your GP. You may have to take another product.
Exactly exactly How effective could it be?
It depends which kind of crisis contraception you utilize and exactly how quickly you utilize it.
There’s two types of crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after capsule – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity when you yourself haven’t used contraception or think your typical way of contraception has unsuccessful.